Entry to University
Entry to University
New University Entrance Requirements
University Entrance (UE) will continue to be the minimum requirement to go to a New Zealand university.
- NCEA Level 3
- Three subjects - at Level 3 or above, made up of:
- 14 credits each, in three approved subjects
- Literacy - 10 credits at Level 2 or above, made up of:
- 5 credits in reading AND
- 5 credits in writing
- Numeracy - 10 credits at Level 1 or above, made up of:
- achievement standards – specified achievement standards available through a range of subjects, OR
- unit standards - package of three numeracy unit standards (26623, 26626, 26627- all three required).
Once you have met the requirements for University Entrance it will appear on your Record of Achievement.
THIS DOES NOT GUARANTEE ENTRY TO THE DEGREE OR SUBJECTS OF YOUR CHOICE – in many cases, a higher level of achievement will be required.
Many degrees at polytechnics, institutes of technology and private training enterprises also require this entry standard.
Discretionary entry, which is particularly designed for able students to move to university degree study from Year 12, will require meeting as a minimum the Mathematics and Literacy requirements above, together with high levels of achievement in Level 2 subjects.
“Approved” Subjects/Learning Area
Available at Thames High School:
Agriculture & Horticulture
Other approved subjects that are not available at Thames High School may be available through Distance Courses. Check the NZQA website for a full list of approved subjects.
Note that some degree programmes have limited entry. In these cases, a higher level of attainment in NCEA will be required, e.g. a number of Merits and Excellences.
Each university and many courses within each university, have additional requirements.
Check the website of the university concerned for accurate up to date information.
Further information on University Entrance can be found on the NZQA website at www.nzqa.govt.nz