Drama Level 2

DRA2
Course Description

Teacher in Charge: Matua A. Paora-Quirk

Recommended Prior Learning


Preferably you will have completed Level 1 Drama, but if you have great attendance and a proven willingness to participate then you may be accepted at the HOD Drama’s discretion. 






Drama Level 2

Drama at all senior levels is about 80% creating, crafting, devising, rehearsing, demonstrating and performing. The other 20% is research, reflecting and writing. Drama at Level 2 is about ‘understanding’. This means making informed decisions about your performances, making connections to theatre of the past and thinking perceptively about the world you live in. You will build on your skills, develop depth and experiment with other methods of performance. Students who have a career interest in lighting, sound, costume or stage makeup should look at the Theatre Staging and Media course.






Course Overview

Term 1
Study of Theatre Form and Technique.
As students have studied the use of voice, body, movement and space at Level 1, they will be exposed to new levels of technique.
Using these developed skills, students will examine Shakespearean plays and then choose scenes to perform.

Term 2
Devising Drama.
Students will collaborate to devise an original performance.

Term 3
Putting on a show.
Students will work together, under direction, to create a performance of a full scripted play for an invited audience.

Term 4
Term 4 will be an opportunity to catch up on internal assessments and assist with Level 3 performances.
For those who have chosen to do the external assessment, term 4 is for preparation for the external.

Learning Areas:

Arts



Pathway

Drama Level 3

This is a very practical acting course that can lead to the obvious careers of acting, script writing and directing in theatre and film. But, drama skills are effective tools in careers such as law, management, teaching, music performance and any leadership role.

Career Pathways

Art Director (Film, Television or Stage), Film and Video Editor, Sound Technician, Film/Television Camera Operator, Journalist, Director (Film, Television, Radio or Stage), Media Producer, Production Assistant (Film, Television, Radio or Stage), Lighting Technician, Television Presenter, Actor, Dancer, Model

Contributions and Equipment/Stationery

Students must have ‘Performance Blacks’ – black t-shirt and pants to be worn for assessment pieces.

There may be a trip to see live theatre. We keep the cost down as much as possible.


Assessment Information There are 4 internal assessments for a total of 18 credits. There is the option to do an external assessment for a further 4 credits.
Pathway Tags

Production Manager, Event Co-ordinator, Human Resources, Promoter, Theatre Producer / Assistant, Lighting Technician, Communications, Broadcasting, Media, Teacher, Actor, Art Director (Film/Television/Stage), Artistic Director, Cinema Projectionist, Dancer, Director (Film/Television/Radio/Stage), Entertainer, Film and Video Editor, Film/Television Camera Operator, Light Technician, Media Producer, Musician, Production Assistant (Film/Television/Radio/Stage), Radio Presenter, Sound Technician, Television Presenter, Primary School Teacher, Private Teacher/Tutor, Tertiary Lecturer, Diversional Therapist


Disclaimer

Courses outlined will only be available if sufficient students wish to take them AND appropriate staff are available to teach them. Courses that do not run may be offered through distance learning and be supported by the Distance Learning Department.